Monday, March 05, 2012

More Cosmic Dreaming - Under the Lyre

Two nights ago, I was sleeping on the sofa as I sometimes do, because it is near the fire and warmer, and I like the way the firelight dances on the other side of my closed eyelids.

I was half awoken by the voice of a large Italian man standing over me. He stroked my hair and spoke: something which sounded to me like 'sotto lura' or 'sotto lira.'

As soon as I awoke the next morning I was searching for meaning in the phrase, but could come up with nothing other than that 'sotto' means under or beneath.

This morning, because this dream has so puzzled me (I know virtually no Italian), I continued my search with Google Translator. And this is what I found, and heard. Press the 'Listen' button in the lower right corner of the box.


Sotto il lira - under the lyre.

Interestingly, my real name is Laura, which has always been translated as 'crown of laurel leaves.' But I wonder if the name given to me by my dream visitor holds the truest meaning.

5 comments:

Marty said...

Kinda spooky… would make for a great screenplay.

Fijufic said...

Perhaps you played one in a former life....

MauritaMason said...

Marty, I think the last one I wrote put an end to my screenwriting career. But you never know...

Bobby - the lyre was the predecessor of the violin, which I once played and should try to do again.

Thanks so much for reading!

Jaimee said...

Dreaming in Italian, but not speaking Italian... does seem sort of spooky. Glad you could find the translation though.

Unknown said...

That's pretty amazing, I have strange dreams but never anything quite so interesting as this.