Friday, January 01, 2010

Out With the Old; In With the New

That phrase is especially meaningful to me this year, since we moved to a "new" home the first week of December. In fact, I turned over to the landlord the keys to our old house only the night before last. As much as I hate to admit it, I had a few emotional final moments at the old place, especially since I'd lived there almost half my life, my boys were raised there, and the rumor is that the old house is going to be torn down.

I've never been sure why I become attached to inanimate objects, somehow attributing to them a human quality. A little crazy, I know, but I do it anyway. So when I said, just before I walked out the door for the last time, "Goodbye old house; I love you," I felt that the house understood, and forgave me for abandoning it.

So today I'm a bit lost. Trying to embrace the new, but not exactly having bonded with it yet.

I guess that's what the next 364 days are for.

6 comments:

Simon Butler said...

I stayed 33 years in the last house I lived in: from the age of 11 to 44. I still haven’t entirely adapted to the new house, despite having lived here for nearly seven years. Almost all my memories are of the old place, and my dreams are invariably of it rather than the new.

AK™ said...

*waves hi*

Urban Cynic said...

I'd love to be able to offer advice, but having moved 16 times in 15 years, I don't know what it's like to have a home for any length of time... I wish I did though. x

MauritaMason said...

Simon, that's interesting. I haven't had any dreams of the old place, but I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Hey, AK! Good to see you.

UC - wow. You've probably learned to travel lightly. As stressful as this move was, I really don't want to do it again any time soon.

Marchelle said...

=(

But I still can't wait to come see the new place!

Dorrie said...

my next move will hopefully be my last. And, about love to inanimate objects... my next move is going to be horrible because I save too much... sentimental value :-(