Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Prolifique

A few days ago I happened to pull up actor Johnny Depp's IMDb page, perhaps by accident, and I was stunned to see what he's working on simultaneously. Fifteen films in development. Two films in pre-production, two films in production, and three films in post-production. I realize, of course, that he isn't doing all of this alone, but just having committed to all those projects might be overwhelming for some.

This led me to thinking about the creative process in general. Is it fair that some of us spend most of our lives doing things we don't want to do? I don't think so. I would love to be constantly involved in creating something beautiful and lasting. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. At all. If creativity were measured on a scale of one to ten, I would be somewhere near...let's see...minus 100.

On the other hand, I do spend eight hours a day, five days a week making something. If I was a sculptor...but then again, no...(Elton John reference), I would have created, by now, about 100 Davids. My efforts in working for someone else might have yielded a few War and Peaces. Because, really - I'm not bragging, since it's the truth - I am the world's most prolific Aircraft Maintenance Work Card Package Creator.

So eat my shorts, Johnny Depp.

6 comments:

Marchelle said...

Just don't mess with her staples! =P

MauritaMason said...

That's right! At least someone is learning!

Simon Butler said...

It depends on how you look at it. People like Johnny Depp only get to do what they do because almost everyone else is either producing food or manufactured goods, or providing services, designing or inventing things, building, farming etc. Actors and actresses live on the backs of the ordinary people, and while obviously talented and/or good-looking, are not able to do anything particularly productive themselves. You’re the more valuable citizen. Keep your self-respect.

LERMONTOV said...

It is a shame that we can't all do what (or who!) we love

MauritaMason said...

Simon, no wonder I feel so burdened! Johnny Depp is living on my back!

Lerm, I couldn't agree more.

Marchelle said...

I'm not gonna lie. If most people on the welfare system looked like Johnny Depp, I probably wouldn't complain.