Friday, April 10, 2009

A sweet little hidden gem of a movie.

Last night, I forced my husband to watch a movie called Penelope, starring Christina Ricci and James McAvoy (who played Tom Lefroy in Becoming Jane). To be honest, I wasn't even sure if the film was worth watching, but we were soon captivated by the comical little fairy tale.



Ricci plays Penelope Wilhern, who was born under a curse placed upon her wealthy family by a witch seeking revenge for the death of her daughter. Penelope lives out her young life hidden away by parents who are ashamed of her pig snout, until the time comes when her parents seek to break the curse by finding Penelope "one of her own kind" to love her for who she is.

I won't reveal any more of the plot in case you want to see the movie for yourself. And I think you ought to, because a little magic is always fun, and it never hurts to be reminded that it's okay to like yourself the way you are.

3 comments:

doanli said...

O-M-G...did you just say...James McAvoy?

*swooooooon!*


If I watch this movie, I'll cry for 3 days again, like I did after watching "Becoming Jane".

Simon Butler said...

I shall bear it in mind.

It’s surprising how you can get very good – but little-known – films featuring big-name actors slipping past sometimes.

Marty said...

Thanks for the heads up!