Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Disgruntled

I suppose I'd just like to vent for a bit, since it's the time of month for venting. I'll just form a list, shall I?

1. I wish people at work would stop asking me how to spell things. Did you not graduate from high school? Do you not have spell check on your computer? Do you not have a Websters Dictionary just behind you, collecting dust on the shelf?

2. Every once in a while, I go through a period of feeling very unaccomplished. It's as if my life is meaningless, and I haven't really contributed anything to the world except three wonderful human beings (which should be enough). It's happening now, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Most days I feel so overwhelmed by my job (which I hate more and more every day), that I don't have the energy to do anything creative. It may have a lot to do with having barely survived another long winter, as these times of self-reproof seem to occur in February/March.

3. Why would anyone trust The Government?

4. Speaking of government, here's something that has been bothering me for a long time. America was founded on the backs of hardworking, self-sufficient men and women. Where have they all gone? I suppose I have quite a different perspective than some people, since I'm married to a farmer who is one of the hardest working people I have ever known. Living in the country encourages self-sufficiency, and it seems to me that (speaking generally) it's city people who expect the government to take care of them, and rural people who want the government to leave them the hell alone. This was illustrated to me on the local news one day last summer, after a huge amount of rain. A journalist was asking a woman in a car about the condition of city streets, and she replied that the sewer drain had been blocked by debris all day, and when was the city going to come out and do something about it? Like a complete maniac, I yelled at the television set, "Why don't you get out of your freaking car and clean it yourself?" It's what I would have done, but maybe that's because where I live, there is no government to help out. And besides, we take a certain amount of pride in being able to take care of ourselves like real adults.

5. I hate when I buy a cosmetic (most commonly, lipstick), then find out immediately after unsealing the product and using it that it's all wrong for me. What a waste of money.

6. I've pretty much run out of steam. More later, maybe.

4 comments:

Urban Cynic said...

It's great to have a good rant - you're right on all those counts as well!

Simon Butler said...

I think you’ll find that should be “a Webster’s Dictionary”.

MauritaMason said...

UC, yes, it did feel good to get it out of my system.

Simon, funny. I could have sworn I put an apostrophe in there, as I was thinking it at the time. This just proves that proofreading is no longer important to me. It also indicates that I'm becoming senile.

Propoquerian said...

that is brilliant what you said about city people wanting the government to step in and farmers wanting them to stay the hell away! i'm going to have to ponder the implications of that one for a while....really smart though
could it have to do with the fact that city people just share everything more than farmers do? what i mean is space--they are more crammed in there! They know that if they see a dirty block of street, there are hundreds of people who use that block. Why should this one person be the one who does the grunt work?

I dont necessarily agree with such a mindset, but it could be the mindset of some