Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Newton's Third Law of Motion

I just made a mental breakthrough about work.

When I first started this job, I loved it. I looked forward to being here everyday, because I was busy but not overwhelmed. Then the powers-that-be decided none of us was efficient enough, and we weren't smart enough to figure out how to be more efficient on our own. So they paid a consultant HUGE dollars to figure it out for us.

The result? Certain areas became more efficient and streamlined. Meanwhile, more work was created in other areas.

Newton's Third Law of Motion states, For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It's all about balance. You can't lighten the scales on one side without weighing down the other, and my side is carrying all the weight.

3 comments:

Propoquerian said...

Newton also was very into coloring. His ceilings and walls were covered with crayon. Maybe you could draw all over your office and if anyone gives you any grief about it just say " oh, i thought we were following Newton this month, no?"

MauritaMason said...

UC, I'm working on something in my head, but may not be able to write it until tomorrow. And you're right, I still have a stash to choose from!

Pro, that's funny. Some of them may think I'm already going off the deep end. I don't think I need crayons to confirm it!

Simon Butler said...

Companies obsessed with making savings are very easily persuaded to part with large amounts of money when another company tells them it can improve their sales, efficiency etc. PR and advertising is the classic way. A few years ago, British Airways paid millions to have new tailfin designs done, all on the advice of some company who’d told them that they should be more avant-garde, multi-cultural, adventurous or some similar crap. For a few months they kept to their line against the ridicule that was heaped upon them by their customers, the media, and others. Eventually they backtracked and had the lot repainted again, back to their original colours, at enormous cost. Evidently they’d decided that what their customers wanted was a conservative, reliable, traditional image.

Of course if one of their own staff had predicted that, they’d have ignored them.